"Aspire not to have more, but to be more"

Thursday, July 4, 2013

2013 Arbutus Firecraker 10K

Almost two weeks ago I lost one of my best friends, Lew Goode, to brain cancer. When his family and I were talking about ways to commemorate him, we decided to do the Arbutus Firecracker 10K in memory of him. I had always steered clear of this race because of the heat and the hills, but this year I decided to give it a try.

The sky looked a little iffy before we started - I thought it was going to downpour but the sun wound up coming out right at the start. I wound up "running into" a lot of runners I've sold shoes to at Charm City Run - kinda cool to see them enjoying something I helped them pick out! I even ran with one customer for a good amount of time. Throughout the race we were greeted with sprinklers and old ladies squirting us with hoses. This was an AWESOME race and I would recommend it to everyone - it is definitely one I will do every year. At the end of the race, there was a bunch of food - hot dogs, watermelon, oranges, you name it. Great race, fast times.


Martin & I at the finish...
I finished in 55:44 and came in 50th place!
Overall rating? A.
Main complaints? None
Favorite parts? The friendliness of the crowd!
Communication before the race? N/A (I signed up at packet pickup)
Expo? N/A
Premium? B+. Red tech tee- off brand, sleeves were awkwardly long, but the design was nice!
Water Stops/Aid Stations? A+. The aid stations, sprinklers, and hoses made the course bearable on such a hot day!
Finisher's Medal? N/A
Finisher's Festival? A. Thanks for the fresh fruit!
Would I run this race again/recommend it to anyone? Definitely! Great local race for the 4th


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Contributors

Followers

Total Pageviews