"Aspire not to have more, but to be more"

Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 1: Let the journey begin!

I registered for the Marine Corps Marathon a month or so ago. I don't think I have ever been so nervous in my entire life to enter my credit card information before because registering for a marathon is a big deal---you're signing yourself up for months of training, sleepless nights, sweaty t-shirts, and some intense mental preparation. This past fall I ran/completed both the Baltimore and Philadelphia Half Marathons. Baltimore was by far my favorite because it was through my favorite city, but Philly was a close second because it was a fast course!! I ran the Philly Half 5 weeks after the Baltimore Half. WOW!

Today was my first run to kick off my training. It started off with a 9am appt with my podiatrist who told me to get new shoes every 250 miles (which I'm well past) and to NOT get the Vibram 5 Finger shoes (he said they're great to walk in, but other than that they're just a scam). After running endless errands, I came home and laced up my trusty Pumas!

 I ran about 6.4 miles. About 3 miles in I felt like I was birthing a child so had to lay down and take a break .... in the middle of the sidewalk. I ran past a girl that I went to middle school with and we waved--it's always great to see someone you know! With about a little more than a mile to go, I thought I was going to blow chunks, so I just stopped and walked to a restaurant on my trek home and  got some water. It also started to thunder / pour....sooo it was good to take a break.

After a 2 week break filled with finals, moving home, and unhealthy eating, I'm ready to get back into the swing of things! One of my favorite things about the summer is the heat and sweating. There's nothing like coming home after a long run with a drenched cotton t-shirt. Yeah, Under Armour works fabulously, but I love the traditional cotton tee sometimes.

Today I learned that I will indeed get blisters even after only a two week break and that I need new shoes!

TIME FOR A SHOWER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Contributors

Followers

Total Pageviews