"Aspire not to have more, but to be more"

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Reflections the night before Cross Country Trip #3!

If you couldn't tell by the exclamation point in the title of this blog post, I'm STOKED! I am SO excited to go out to Seattle, you have no idea. Yes, I'm sad to leave my family, friends, and coworkers but it just feels so right.

A few months ago, as you may remember, I moved out to San Francisco to work for a startup. I was offered the position on a Tuesday, accepted it that Wednesday, and was driving cross country (solo!) just a few days later on that Sunday. The trip out was great, but once I got there, it wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be. The founders of the company I was working for got in a tiff and I wasn't really getting paid like my contract had originally said I would get paid, so I had to come home. It sucked. I felt broken, hurt, you name it. I was pretty bummed that I had to come back home, and wasn't sure if I would ever make it back out to the West Coast. I told myself on my drive back that I would try to get back out West around March. Then I thought about it a little more, and I convinced myself there was no way I'd be able to get back out within a year. To this day, I can't believe I sold myself short the night I told myself that.

I came home, started working at Charm City Run again and picked up a pretty awesome job at Lululemon Athletica. I was a little nervous at first about the job at Lululemon because I was so used to the family I had at Charm City Run and wasn't sure if I would really have a "family" at Lululemon, but oh my gosh, do I have a family there or WHAT! Every day that I've gone to work since I've gotten back from California, I've loved every minute of it and have never really felt like it was work -- it was more like "best friend time". In my interview at Lulu, they said that working around the holiday time is the best time .... and they nailed it! I can't believe how fast these past three months have flown by!! I have definitely made lifelong friends at both jobs. Last night I was driving home from my last shift at the Columbia Lululemon and it hit me - I really love everyone I work with. I feel like I have such a deep and unique connection with each person I work with--it's something I've never really experienced before. My coworkers always joke with me that I know everyone, so I'm excited to see who I run into as I trek cross country once again!

As my dad and I were talking last night, we both came to the realization that this is "THE move", like the one you always dream to take when you're a little girl -- chase your dreams kinda thing. I'm ready for an adventure!

Now to answer your questions....I'll be updating my blog each night as I make my way across the country, assuming that I have a reliable internet connection! Tomorrow I'll be leaving at 7am and eating lunch in Cleveland at one of my favorite restaurants from freshman year of college (I went to school up in Cleveland for one year before transferring to Maryland!) and then will be eating dinner / spending the night with one of my close friends from my first semester at UMD. Thursday my goal is to make it to Rapid City, SD. Friday I'll visit Mt. Rushmore and journey Westward -- the route I take all will depend on the weather at that point. I've never been to Montana and Idaho, so I plan to drive through them, but if the weather is too treacherous, I have plenty of room in my schedule to hang in a city for a few days if need be. Yes, I'll be driving by myself (it's the best and only way to do it!) and yes, I do have plenty of windshield washer fluid, gas money, and healthy snacks! (....well, except for the brownies that my friend Jenifer gave me!). I should be in Seattle by Saturday night, and will be staying with friends when I first get out there, and then I'll be finding a permanent address! WOOHOO!

Alright, that's all for now! Time to pack!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Contributors

Followers

Total Pageviews